Welcome!

This blog was inspired by 31 for 21 & is about my wonderful family.

"As a mother, my job is to take care of what is possible & trust God with the impossible." ~Ruth Bell Graham

"Never look down on someone, unless you're helping them up!"

Monday, October 1, 2012

Day one!

     Today marks the first day of Down Syndrome Awareness Month!  As I previously stated, I am going to blog about Down syndrome every day this month.  So be sure to come back each day to educate yourself about the facts.  I may not be an expert on Down syndrome, but I do know a few things...having a child with Down syndrome sure teaches you A LOT!
    Today's fact:  Down syndrome, or Trisomy 21, just means that there are 3 copies of the 21st chromosome.  So, don't think that people with Down syndrome are lacking anything, because they actually have something extra...which makes them EXTRAORDINARY!  Down syndrome results at conception.  There's nothing the mother or father did or didn't do to cause this.  It's just genetic. 1 in approximately 691 births will result in a baby with Down syndrome.
     Just take a look at my son, Troy.  Sure, he's a little smaller than a 'typical' child his age.  He has to work a little harder to accomplish some things, but he will get there, in his own time.  That's one thing that I had to work at, myself...being patient; well, that's still a work in progress!  But I'll tell you one thing, once you've seen your child work so hard, day in & day out, to accomplish something & you witness them doing it for the first time, you'll never forget it!  It is so amazing!  And having a child with Down syndrome makes you appreciate the little things.  I have always said that I think Troy is teaching me so much more than I'm teaching him.  One more thing, I know that God gave me Troy to help me to be a better person.  He knew that Troy would open my eyes, & he really has. 
     If you love someone with Down syndrome, won't you join me in helping to educate the world this month?  You can blog or post on facebook to help get the facts out.  Another great way to get a conversation going is to wear an awareness ribbon.  I know, they are HARD to find....but I can make you one & mail it out to you.  It's my job as Troy's mother to help educate the world.  I know that I wasn't educated on Down syndrome until I had to be.  I knew what Down syndrome was & how it happened, but I also was ignorant to the facts vs the myths & hear say.  So if you have any questions at all, ask me.  I will help you in any way I can.  This Sunday is a great opportunity for you to meet some fabulous folks with Down syndrome at the annual Buddy Walk of Atlanta!   

No comments:

Post a Comment