Welcome!

This blog was inspired by 31 for 21 & is about my wonderful family.

"As a mother, my job is to take care of what is possible & trust God with the impossible." ~Ruth Bell Graham

"Never look down on someone, unless you're helping them up!"

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Day 6

MYTH: People with Down syndrome are always happy.
TRUTH: People with Down syndrome have feelings just like everyone else in the population. They experience the full range of emotions. They respond to positive expressions of friendship and they are hurt and upset by inconsiderate behavior.

In my nearly four years of experience, I've learned so many things about Down syndrome.  Not only does my son experience the same feelings as everyone else, but I've learned that he is VERY stubborn & impatient!  He wants what he wants, when he wants it.  It doesn't matter if you're going down the road & he wants "cookies in a bowl" or "cheese dip"...he wants THAT, NOW!  You can offer him better choices, but that's not going to do anything but cause a scene.  Because he is about to grunt & tell you FIRMLY what he wants AGAIN.  Nope, nothing is going to satisfy him until he gets what he wants.  If I try to push the healthy choice on him, not only will he not eat it, he will shut down, rejecting every thing.  So I do give him what he wants, when he wants it.  Call me what you want, but he's going to be happy.  He may want cookies or chips & cheese dip right now, & he will get it...BUT, he will also eat his vegetables & fruit a little later.

He is also very loving.  He forgives like we all should.  If you hurt him, he doesn't hold a grudge...he gets over it!  You can spank him for not listening & 2 minutes later, he's in your lap giving you kisses.  But along with that, he gets attached.  If you stop coming around, he notices & it breaks his little heart (which makes for one upset mama).

He is very smart!  I was folding laundry the other day & each piece that I brought up out of the basket he would say what it was & who it belongs to.  I had his brother's shirt & he said "Chancey's shirt!"  Then I was folding his daddy's shorts & he said "Daddy's britches!'  That boy never ceases to amaze me.

There are so many things that make my little boy so perfect, despite the fact that some people think he's flawed & imperfect.  But I honestly don't care if someone thinks that my son should've been aborted because he's "different."  We're all different, that's the way God intended it.  I love my Troy just the way he is.  You know, I believe there is pure awesomeness stored in his something extra...awesomeness created by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment