Welcome!

This blog was inspired by 31 for 21 & is about my wonderful family.

"As a mother, my job is to take care of what is possible & trust God with the impossible." ~Ruth Bell Graham

"Never look down on someone, unless you're helping them up!"

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Will you take a stand?

     As I was watching True Hollywood Story:  Sarah Palin, I heard something that made my blood boil.  One of the women they were interviewing was talking about when Sarah found out that her son has Down syndrome.  She said "she was carrying a Down syndrome baby."  I gasped in disbelief!  What?  Did she just refer to Trigg as "a Down syndrome baby?"  Then she kept on digging herself a hole by referring to Trigg as if he weren't human.  I was floored.  How could she be so ignorant?  Trigg isn't "a Down syndrome baby,"  he's a child that happens to have Down syndrome!  I know, it seems so petty for me to get upset about that, but I can't help it.  I'm sure some other parents of kids with Down syndrome think the same way I do.  We are trying with all of our might to have our kids accepted in society.  We want people to view them the way we do, just like anyone else.  If people continue to label our children, how will they ever be accepted?  It's true, my son has Down syndrome, he has an extra chromosome.  Does that mean he is in another class of people?  No.  He is the same as you & me.  He does the same things we do.  I don't look at him & think that he's any different.  He has likes & dislikes just like everyone else.  He needs a little extra help with some things right now, but he's had 3 heart surgeries, he's going to be behind.  You know, when we look at him, we don't see "a Down syndrome baby."  We see Troy, our miracle.  And if someone approaches us in public, we don't say, "he's a Down syndrome baby."  In fact, we don't mention Down syndrome at all unless we are asked.  It's not that we're ashamed, because Lord knows we are not, but I feel like he deserves to be referred to as a boy, not labeled.  My son is a toddler, that just happens to have Down syndrome, Down syndrome doesn't have him!  Besides, you don't look at me & say that I am a caucasian female with chronic pancreatitis every time you refer to me, do you?  So why in the world do some people label people with Down syndrome?  Yep, we know they have the extra chromosome.  Does that make them less of a person?  Does that mean that they ARE Down syndrome?  Does that mean that I am chronic pancreatitis?  Or someone that has Lupus, or cancer is that as well?  We need to correct these people by making them aware of what they are doing.  Maybe they don't understand how ignorant they sound by using those terms.  We have to stand up for what we believe in.  If we don't stand for something, we'll fall for anything.  I am taking a stand for my son & for each & every person who finds this offensive.  Will you take a stand?

No comments:

Post a Comment