Welcome!

This blog was inspired by 31 for 21 & is about my wonderful family.

"As a mother, my job is to take care of what is possible & trust God with the impossible." ~Ruth Bell Graham

"Never look down on someone, unless you're helping them up!"

Sunday, April 17, 2011

SOAP BOX

     I have to get on my soap box once again.  I have come to realize that most people in this world are clueless about Down syndrome.  It breaks my heart knowing that so many people are uneducated.  People can be so harsh & quick to judge someone that they know nothing about.  A lot of things are stereotyped, Down syndrome is a prime example.  People THINK that just because someone has Down syndrome that they are stupid.  That they can't think for themselves, like instead of being born with a little something extra, they were born with out a brain.  I don't know every person with Down syndrome, but I know my son, & he's far from being stupid.  Just because people with Down syndrome learn differently & need a little extra help in the beginning, doesn't mean that they're stupid.  It's just wrong to judge a book by the cover.  So before you degrade someone because they are a little different, ask yourself this, "am I perfect?"    I can answer that question, "NO!"  However, I can guarantee you this, someone thinks they are.  I know that society puts a label on people that are slightly different.  I am well aware of this.  But you can help rip those labels off by learning the facts.  Not the ones in the books or on the websites, but by getting to know someone with Down syndrome.  Volunteer at the Atlanta Down Syndrome Association or Challenged Child.  Or better yet, want to see perfection at its best?  Come visit the Forrester house.  Troy will knock your socks off & you'll have a different perspective, I can assure you that.  You'll be be amazed.  Okay, getting off my soap box now.

No comments:

Post a Comment