Welcome!

This blog was inspired by 31 for 21 & is about my wonderful family.

"As a mother, my job is to take care of what is possible & trust God with the impossible." ~Ruth Bell Graham

"Never look down on someone, unless you're helping them up!"

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Chancey

    On this day, 14 years ago, I fell in love all over again.  My son, Chancey, was born at 2:23 p.m.  He weighed 7 lbs 3.5 oz & was 19 1/2" long. 
     People always ask me if there is a meaning behind his name.  Well, of course there is a reason I named him Chancey.  Here's the entire story.  I had some strange abdominal pains on July 8, 1996 & went to the ER.  They ran 2 pregnancy tests (blood & urine) & did a pelvic exam.  The doctor told me that I wasn't pregnant & they couldn't find anything wrong, but to limit my work & other activities for a few days.  The next day, I was in a horrific, fatal, one car accident.  I was rushed to the nearest level 1 trauma center.  They ran every test imaginable on me, from pregnancy tests to tox screens & xrays to CT scans.  According to their results, I wasn't pregnant or on any type of drugs or alcohol & the only bone I broke was T6 in my back.  I had to have some stitches & stay in the hospital for observation because I also had fluid on the back of my skull.  I was at home recovering, when I received a phone call.  It was the doctor from the ER that I had went to on July 8th.  She informed me that my results from the pelvic exam showed that I had severe endometriosis & I would never be able to have kids.  She advised me to get to a gynecologist ASAP, that I needed surgery.  But that would have to wait due to my injuries sustained in the accident.  A few weeks later, I began to feel nauseous constantly & then I would vomit pretty much all day long.  My mama took me the doctor that was following me post accident.  He advised me to take a pregnancy test.  The next day, I did.  It was positive!  (Not only was I pregnant, but I found out that I had MANY more injuries than I was originally told.)  My mama immediately scheduled an appointment with my OB/GYN.  I found out on August 28, 1996 that I was 8 weeks pregnant!  We were very concerned about the baby since I had been bounced around like a pinball & had lots of xrays, CT scans, & medication.  She assured me that the baby was fine.  Oh, I was so excited!  But we knew that the miscarriage rate didn't decrease until after the 12th week.  We didn't want to buy anything for the baby or really prepare until we knew for sure it would be okay.  So the day I made it to 12 weeks, my mama took me shopping for maternity clothes & shopping for the baby.  I started having pains in the car on the way to town.  I asked my mama to stop so I could go to the bathroom.  When I got out of the car, I had blood all over me & all in the seat of the car.  I was so distraught knowing that I was probably having a miscarriage.  The ER doctors took me straight to the L&D floor & I had an emergency ultrasound.  I wasn't having a miscarriage, my placenta had a bad tear in it.  The baby was fine!  I had to take it easy for a few months, but he or she should be fine.  Finally, the time had come.  I had a fairly easy labor, only pushing for 30 minutes.  But when my son was born, he was purple & blue all over & not breathing.  My doctor called in the NICU team & they rushed him out.  I was so heartbroken, but I felt in my soul that he would be just fine.  About 30 minutes later, they were taking me from the delivery room to my room.  I asked if I could please stop by & see my baby.  The doctors had him stabilized & they were massaging his chest with a vibrating instrument to break up the mucus in this lungs.  I was relieved!  I hadn't been in my room 15 minutes when I heard a knock on my door.  It was my baby!  I knew that his name had to be special because of the obstacles we faced to get him here safe & sound.  
     Now, he wishes I would've named him an ordinary name because kids tease him about his name.  And everyone misprounces it, calling him Chauncey.  But I am hoping that one day he will realize the meaning of it & why I named him Chancey.  I'm sure when he looks into his own child's eyes, he'll understand then.
     Chancey has brought so much love & joy to my life.  He is the reason I have fought my illness so hard.  He has faced a lot of obstacles in his short life, but he has dealt with them with grace & understanding & now he's so much stronger for overcoming the road blocks.  He is such an awesome young man & I am beyond proud of him.  He's such a wonderful big brother, too.  I thank God every day for giving me Chancey...I couldn't have hand picked a better son.  Happy 14th birthday, Chancey!  I love you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment